Whether we know it or not, we have fear of a lot of different things: fear of making mistakes, fear of being embarrassed, fear of being abandoned, fear of not fitting in, fear of losing control, fear of failure, and even fear of success.
Everything becomes possible outside our comfort zone, but we’re doing everything to stay inside it because we’re afraid. This is a huge realization for most people.
Here are 20 tips for managing your fear:
1. The game of life is 99% mental.
2. Understand the difference between healthy fear and paralyzing fear.
3. Plan the work, work the plan.
4. Get crystal clear about where you’re heading.
5. Identify the essential, eliminate the rest.
6. Make SMART Goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound.
7. Focus on activities that move you closer to your goal.
8. Decide that you will move forward and commit to it.
9. Knowing there will be bumps in the road helps to put fear in perspective.
10. Persistence is worth more than brains, talent, and money.
11. “Mistakes” are opportunities in disguise.
12. Stop being so critical of everyone else; it’s a trap that keeps you imprisoned.
13. Stop blaming your parents, peers, school, neighbors and anyone else for your reality.
14. Accept that you and you alone are 100% responsible for your life.
15. Take one step outside your comfort zone.
16. You get most things in life not by taking but by giving.
17. Stop comparing your insides to other people’s outsides.
18. Put a small box on your desk where you’ll dump your fears.
19. Celebrate small wins.
20. Set yourself up for success and do it.